While driving through the infamous highway that links Chicago to Los Angeles, Route 66 isn’t your everyday pavement. This well-known highway has made a name for itself for being one of the best roads to drive on, and if you’re gearing up for a road trip, this isn’t the road less traveled because of how entertaining it can be.
Whether you’re road tripping solo or catering to a car full of kids, Route 66 offers some of the best sites to see while making your way across the country. If you’re prepared to check out endless neon signs, truck stops in the middle of nowhere and much more – do as the song says and “get your kicks on Route 66.” Here are a few great places to check out:
1. Lou Mitchell Restaurant, Chicago, IL – If Chicago is your departing city, no place is better to fill you up than good ole’ Lou Mitchell Restaurant, founded in 1923.
2. Chain of Rocks Bridge, St. Louis, MO- The Chain of Rocks Bridge is famous for its 24-degree bend and beautiful scenes through out Missouri.
3. U-Drop Inn, Shamrock, TX – U-Drop Inn is one of Route 66’s most iconic architectural structures.
4. Cadillac Ranch, Amarillo, TX – Cadillac Ranch is a roadside pop art collection featuring vintage Cadillacs buried nose-down in concrete
5. Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA – The Santa Monica pier features a sign that declares “Santa Monica 66 End of the Trail.”
If you’re looking for a great hotel deal while making your way through Route 66, be sure to check out HotelCoupons.com for excellent discounts everyday!